Thursday, November 11, 2004

Steek through the heart

When I dragged this Lopi sweater out of my shamefully UFO pile, I knew something wasn't quite right. I knew my stitch count was off. I knew it would bite me in the rear eventually. I just wasn't sure how. Today I figured it out. My steek is off. Way way way off center. Not in a fixable way either. You can see the yarn coming off of the top of the work - that's where the steek is. four little arrow thingies on the left side of the steek but only two and a bit on the right side. Not. good.


The off-center steek.

So what so I do? First, I'm going to take it to my LYS and have them help me figure out where I went wrong. I think I'll have to rip it to right before I put the sleeves on, but hopefully not any more.

I want to finish this one because, Hallowig notwithstanding, even if a project is horrible, I want to finish it. I still have the last piece of Grace waiting to be seamed because I'll bet it will look good on at least one friend. I really really wanted to complete the yoke before Thanksgiving and then knit the button band after the start of the new year. At this point, I'm going to rip it back to where it needs to be in order to be correct and then put it away until after I finish Lara and Plum.

I hate "learning experiences". I'm frustrated, but I also know that I made the mistake at least 12 years ago - I think this was my third sweater. The intervening dozen years have taught me an amazing amount about how to figure out if I'm knitting it correctly or not ;>