Friday, December 22, 2006

Dear Dr Pig

I love you.

That's why I married you.

But...

When your parents are staying with us and I ask if you want to come with me to shop for a few last odds and ends, please do not respond, "Nope, I'm all done."

1.) With the exception of three packages under the tree, I did all the shopping and wrapping. And you only wrapped one of those three. So, technically, I'm the one who's done.

2.) I realize that there is an awfully large box under the tree wrapped in Tiffany blue and white which indicates that you are, indeed, "done" as far as presents go.

BUT

Think that I might be using the whole "shopping" ploy as a thinly disgused ruse for going and sitting in a pub and drinking a few Belgian beers and having some moules frittes before I have to come back and help prepare Lutheran Chicken for your parents.

Speaking of which - this makes a great grilled chicken

Lutheran Chicken (Dr Pig got the recipe out of his church cookbook from Iowa. The Lutherans call this BBQ chicken but, as a Texan, I beg to differ. Hence, Lutheran chicken.)

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1 small bottle Italian salad dressing (think wishbone or kraft - don't get fancy)
1/2 small onion, diced
1/4 c soy sauce
1 tsp dry mustard

Combine last 4 ingredients and marinate chicken for 1 hour.
Grill.

And, just because I'm in a sharing mood

Easy chocolate truffles (the ingredients sound completely ridiculous, but people scarf these down like no tomorrow)

1 8 oz pkg Philadelphia cream cheese
1lb 2oz pkg oreos
16 oz semi sweet chocolate (I use a combination of Baker's and Nestle chips)

Let cream cheese come to room temp.

Put 8 oreos in a food processor and blitz to fine crumbs.
Reserve.

Put rest of oreos in food processor and blitz to fine crumbs.
Add cream cheese and pulse until combined.

Put chocolate in a double boiler to melt.

Roll oreo stuff into small balls - you'll have between 40 and 50 depending on the size of your balls. (heh!)

Dip balls into melted chocolate (use two forks to make it easier)

put on wax paper on a cookie sheet.

Sprinkle liberally with reserved cookie crumbs and put into fridge for at least an hour. Transfer to other container for storage (always in the fridge). These are best after sitting overnight in the fridge.

Weirdly good stuff.