Monday, January 14, 2008

And the Oscar goes to...

Last week, Bean came home from school very, very tired and had the subsequent meltdown. During which she hit me on the arm. I told her that, if she did it again, she'd be going to her room. Predictably, she did it again and was sent to her room amidst much wailing and gnashing of teeth and door slamming.

After listening to piteous sobbing for a few minutes, I took her the kitchen timer so she'd know when she could come out.

I open the door and she's got a framed photo of the family in her hands and she's touching my picture. She turns to me and, between sobs, says, "I'm just trying to remember what you look like when you smile."

To my eternal credit, I did not laugh.

Until after she went to bed. At which point I laughed so hard I scared the dog.