Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I am a horrible person

OK, maybe only slightly.

It's no secret that I have insomnia. I blame it all on The Bean. She spent most of the first 2.85 years of her life refusing to sleep through the night. This combined with Mommy Hearing has resulted in me waking up at the slightest provocation. Last night, I was most unjustly provoked as The Force of Evil decided that NONE SHALL SLEEP.

We had a cracker of a storm including a rather big damn tree getting blown over a block away, possibly by the way too close for comfort flash of lightning followed immediately by the loudest clap of thunder I have ever heard. The dog was climbing on top of us in fear, but Bean slept on.

Of course, once the storm was past, she woke up every two hours having a screaming hysterical tantrum and refusing to be calmed. Around 2am, I came back into the bedroom and saw my sleeping husband. My lovely husband who can fall back asleep at the drop of a hat. And I put in some earplugs and went back to sleep and did not wake up until the 7am screaming fit. My husband, bless him*, got up at the 3.30am screaming fit and I slept on. It was glorious. Poor man had to go to work today but as I'm trapped in the house with a whiny, sleep-deprived 3-year-old, I'm less than sympathetic.

I swear sometimes Ambien for kids sounds like a good idea.**

My ill will towards the child is somewhat mitigated by the fact that she has recently decided that she really likes The Clash. And Led Zepplin.

I'm not sure if this is what Ferrol Sams had in mind when he referred to being "raised right" but I'm going with it.

*Not in the Southern sense of "you imbecile" but, really, bless him. I don't deserve him but I'm not about to question my luck.

**To the oversensitive who sometime send me nasty personal emails about my horrible parenting, I'd like to point out that this is what as known as a joke.