Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Kepling

This article from July 18th is scary.

I'm knitting Kepler in Rowan Summer Tweed. Summer Tweed handles cables fairly well and meets the gauge requirements of the pattern spot on. I've heard people who hated this yarn but I have to admit that it's one of my favorites. I love the tweedy and slightly rustic look of the yarn. I also love the fact that it's very wearable in the Dallas climate. I considered knitting Kepler in wool, but I have very little need for a wool pullover.

Here's a picture of the first cable band for the body. I think it's looking really nice. I wasn't sure about the color choice, but I had the yarn in stash. It turns out, the pink is actually very pretty and the "rustic" texture of Summer Tweed looks very much like a rough wool.

This is a fun project. I love the cables, but it's nice that the rest of the sweater is plain. I'm a smallish person and I really have to consider the scale of the sweaters I knit. All-over cabling in an aran weight yarn would make me look 20 pounds heavier and a few inches shorter.

River is also growing slowly but surely. Given the resistance of KSS to ripping, I'm trying to be fairly careful. I've found that I can't quite keep track of what I'm doing if I'm tired (or watching the horrible news these days). Oddly, the cables in Kepler are going just fine even when tired.