Wednesday, January 18, 2006

That'll teach you to knock on doors

Yesterday afternoon, my knitting time (coincidentally, The Bean's nap time) was rudely interrupted by two well-scrubbed college students who wanted to ask me some questions about my relationship with Christ.

Now, I'm pretty far off from being a Holy Roller nor do I have any truck with anyone who bashes other religions in order to promote their own. I minored in Asian studies and did some graduate level work in religion. This means that I've read the Koran, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, and a few other major religious works. So, I am armed with enough religious knowledge to freak the hell out of well-scrubbed earnestines.

I let them ask their questions and then asked them if they'd read any religious works other than the Bible. No shock that the answer was, "No." I asked them what they would do if someone knocked on their door to "minister" to them and told them that everything they believed in was wrong and that [insert religion here] was the only true path to heaven. How would they feel about that? I told them that it was very interesting that the message they were preaching sounded suspiciously like "If you aren't of European descent, you're going to hell." And lo and behold, they both looked at me like those thoughts had never occured to them in their lives. And the guy told me that he was really glad they had talked to me. The girl just had that deer in the headlights look on her face.

If you knock on my door, you'd better be prepared for my answers.

Or, for me to ask for your address so I can come tell you all about
my church...