Thursday, September 14, 2006

Getting to No

At what point, did the word"no" drop from the list of acceptable terminology?

When you call me on the telephone to try to sell me something, please realize that No is an acceptable answer. It may not be the answer you want, but, if you have difficulty understanding the meaning of No, please consult Mr Webster.

When you ask me to volunteer at the school carnival and I respond that I am bringing a cake for the cakewalk and am signing up for future events, but will be unable to volunteer the day of because my husband is leaving for Japan that morning, do not try to find ways to make it work. Do not tell me I can work the booth with her. That never works. And do NOT tell me to find a babysitter. I said No.

When I say I don't want to teach Sunday School, don't try to talk me into it. I know you are my friend, but let's think about this. Do you really want someone who DOES NOT WANT TO TEACH LITTLE CHILDREN to teach Sunday School?

Forget "Getting to Yes". I want "Getting to No". I want to be able to say No without being made to feel guilty about it.

NO!

And if you won't accept No as an answer, don't get all shocked and hurt when a fsck off is next.