Monday, April 02, 2007

Y'all are too smart for me

Can't fool a fooler!

My all-time favorite April Fool's joke was when I was getting my MBA. We all read the Wall Street Journal most days, and there was this huge full-page add that Taco Bell had taken out, announcing that they had bought the Liberty Bell, which would henceforth be known as the Taco Liberty Bell. Now, for a bunch of people who were alot smarter than me, they weren't that swift on the uptake. I looked at the ad and the commotion and remarked, "Check the date on the paper."

"Yeah, April first, what does that have to do with anything?"

"Um, April Fool's Day?"

Half the class was convinced that it was still true and the date was a coincidence. There was a huge, national outrage and the best part was that when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked to comment, he told the reporter that the Lincoln Memorial had been bought by Ford and would now be the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial.

Best joke of all time.