Monday, January 07, 2008

Hat head

Carole and I seem to be on the same wavelength today.

I am not a knitter of hats. I never quite get them right.

Nevertheless, I knit Dr. Pig a hat.

I used the Monsoon colorway of Socks That Rock that I received in last year's Rockin' Sock Club.


I wound the skein double, which gave me a nice hat yarn.


I also knit a Calorimetry. Everyone and her dog has knit this pattern and I can see why!







What with the lovely 50% off sales at The Woolie Ewe and The Shabby Sheep, I decided to buy quite alot of "scarf yarn". I always see interesting scarves and they are a wonderful way to try out new stitchwork without the bulk of a sweater. I never seem to have anything in stash that is suitable. Or, rather, I do have it in stash except that it's part of a sweater quantity and I'm not touching it until the sweater is finished and I know how much I have left over!

I received Knitting New Scarves for Christmas, so that's also some inspiration. The Calorimetry is knit in Manos. I am going to knit a matching My So-Called Scarf, but I'm going to do the neckwarmer version with the buttons. That will leave me just enough yarn to knit a pair of Fetching mitts! All my coats are black, so this really doesn't go, but I don't care - it's a gorgeous colorway. Far more beautiful than I've been able to get on camera.

I forsee more Calorimetries in my future. It's a great way to use up a small amount of yarn leftover from a scarf. This one could have easily been 2/3 the size and still been quite warm, so the pattern is pretty flexible. Mmm, tasty!