Monday, January 31, 2005

Have yarn, Have pattern, NEED GAUGE

RATS!

Pattern recommendations needed for the following yarns:

Tahki Chelsea Silk (wool/silk): almost 1800 yds. 4 stitches to the inch on 8s and 3.5 on 9s (recommended gauge). Doesn't knit up well at a larger gauge. Purple with tweedy fleccks of bright blue and red. Better looking than it sounds but pretty obnoxious. This yarn wants to be a pullover.

I'd like to be able to use the Chelsea Silk for Mariah but the gauge is off by 1 stitch per inch - quite alot - and there is no way I'm recalculating those cabled sleeves. Same problem with Rogue (and she specifically states in the Rogue FAQ that Chelsea Silk won't show the cables as well as 100% wool - although I can live with that).

Mountain Colors 4/8 wool. 4.5 stitches to the inch on 7s. 1500 yds. Variagated in dark reds with a bit of blue. Would probably work for Mariah except that I don't have enough yarn and I bought all there was in that dye lot. I'd prefer this yarn to be a cardi rather than a pullover. I considered a Rogue cardi but I'm not feeling it.

I'd be grateful for recommendations. It seems like every pattern I look at is either the wrong gauge or I need more yarn.