Tuesday, July 19, 2005

FBS and Cocktail Weenies of Death




The Flower Basket Shawl is complete! A bit over three skeins of Debbie Bliss Cathay.

I gave it to my mother. I'm a bit underwhelmed at her response but that's the peril of knitting for others ;>

The Cathay blocked out beautifully and the points on the shawl are staying nice and pointy despite my worries that the cotton would present a problem.

Yesterday, I bought some Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in a blackberry color to make an FBS for myself. I thought about just going for black, but black is so hard to knit and I knew I'd just get lost in the lace. This color is nice and dark but with enough color to be easier to see while knitting.

Looking at Ann's platter of Pigs in Blankets reminded me of a fabulous party recipe. The recipe originates with my mother, but I've tweaked it a bit.

Cocktail Weenies of Death

1 cup ketchup (I can't answer for the results if you use other than Heinz)
1 cup brown sugar slightly packed
1 cup of bourbon (Weller is our house pour)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 or 2 tablespoons sirracha chile sauce or Tabasco
2 pounds cocktail weenies

Put first five ingredients in a crock pot (or a large saucepan on meium low to low heat) and mix well - get the sugar dissolved. Drain package of weenies and add to crock pot or pan. Heat in sauce for around 2 hours. Stir every half an hour or so and make sure it's not bubbling too much. Take off the lid and avoid the stampede. Needless to say, this is not a child-friendly dish.