Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Energized!

Monday was my first day of work at The Shabby Sheep.

It's been a long time since I've worked outside my house. I've taken in the odd technical writing contract job (and if you ever know anyone who wants a technical writer but doesn't want one on staff, contact me!), but that's all done from home.

The optical switching company I was working for in 2001, laid off my entire department and then folded about 6 months later. I was 4 months pregnant at the time and barely anyone was hiring technical writers, much less visibly pregnant ones.

I didn't realize how much I missed having a job.

I'm working on Mondays from opening until 2 (when Bean gets out of school). On Fridays, I'm teaching knitting classes for around 2 hours in the morning.

It's just enough work to get me feeling very useful but not enough to make me feel overwhelmed. That sounds like a sit at home feeling sorry for myself - far from the truth! But it gets kind of boring just doing laundry and paying bills and generally keeping house. I get too bored to even knit. Ennui at it's finest.

Hopefully, this job will get me revved up for a good year.

Last year was the year of being pecked to death by ducks.

Nothing actually bad happened, but we could not go a month without some annoying and expensive THING. And while alot of it was endless car repairs, water heater, oven, etc. ; lots of it was wierd stuff. Bean got ringworm on her head. We didn't get the simple "put some presription cream on it" fix. Oh no, when it's on your head, you have to take two months of oral antibiotics. Fortunately, Bean is a trooper, but imagine having to give your 3-year-old three teaspoons of oral antibiotic every day for two whole months. Sure, there are lots worse things that can happen. But man, it was a pain in the ass. Like I said, pecked to death by ducks.

2006 better be better!

If nothing else, this small job may perk me up to deal with the ducks!