Thursday, May 18, 2006

To dye for


No hair in this post

Bean and I spent today dyeing yarn. I wasn't going to name the colors, but then I got a bright idea.

This is Jelly Bean. I used Kool Aid/Wyler's for the reds, orange, and green and I used a combination of Kool Aid mixed with yellow food dye for the yellow. It's a fairly bright skein, but I used some Black Cherry to produce an almost burgundy color that tames it somewhat.

This is Navy Bean. (Navy beans are actually cream colored and there is no navy in this yarn but whatthehell.)

I'm lucky enough to be in an area where I can get all of the Kool Aid flavors for the Hispanic market. The brown is tamarind. The gold is a combination of mango and tamarind and the blues are varying combinations of KoolAid and food dyes.


The bottom of my microwave is now pink.

I also have a red hand. Didn't remember the gloves until later. You'd better believe I'll remember them next time.

Navy Bean is absolutely perfect for my Dye-O-Rama pal. The only problem is that my order of sock yarn hasn't come in yet, so I used some worsted for a trial. I hope I can do a reasonable job of replicating the colorway. I'll probably send my pal this skein as well - she can make some matching fingerless gloves or a hat or something!