Tuesday, June 13, 2006

K is for Kinky!

Yes, I was early for M yesterday, but I'm really late for K today.

K is for Kinky! I don't know if I'm going to vote for him, but it's nice to have the choice. Frankly, anyone would be better than our current governor, the Kenbot Rick Perry.

The Diamond Fantasy Scarf is progressing nicely. The STR medium weight is wonderful to knit with. I'm not sure I'm going to do a larger one with the Kidlin Pixie, though. I think I'm going to be teaching a lace class at the shop in a month or so and I want to use the Flower Basket Shawl as a beginner pattern. Therefore, I need to knit another FBS.

I thought alot about what would be a good beginner lace pattern. The advantages of the Flower Basket Shawl:

The pattern makes a lovely small shawl, but can be easily continued through more repeats to make a larger shawl without requiring any math from the knitter.

It uses a provisional cast on.

The pattern itself is relatively easy and you can use stitch markers easily (unlike DFS where the stitch markers just got me in trouble). The border is also easy.

You can use almost any thinner yarn - The class is going to use Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool - two skeins make a slightly larger FBS. I knit this pattern using Silky Wool last year and was very pleased with the results. It's gorgeous, very comfortable for Texas weather, and easy to frog.

And, most importantly, this will be my third FBS, so I know the pattern well enough to be able to spot errors without having to sit down and stare at the darn thing for half an hour to figure out where it all went wrong.

So, if you have any lace knitting tips that you think are really helpful for beginners (not beginning knitters, but rather people who have not knit lace), please let me know!!!