Friday, September 21, 2007

Do you want to know what eight hundred dollars looks like?

See that big dirt patch on my lawn?

That is what $800 looks like.

Yesterday, it was a Rather Deep Hole dug in order to repair our sprinklers.

He had to replace the whole valve. Not one of those little flangy things most of us think of as valves. No, this thing was about a big around as a loaf of bread and half as long.

And, the psycho who had the sprinklers installed decided that, rather than putting the valve in the system on the flat part of the lawn, he'd rather install it in a maze of pipes about three feet deep on a Pretty Fucking Steep Hill. Our lawn has a huge grade to it over a very short distance. So, lots and lots of labor.

I do have to say that the man earned his money. He had to dig a three foot deep hole on the grade in close to 100F heat. And that's the part of the lawn with absolutely no shade at all. I tried to get a picture of the Rather Deep Hole, but I couldn't get a picture without repair guy being there and I really did not want to explain the whole blog thing.


Instead, I knit socks.

This is Colinette Jitterbug. The color is Jay.

I love this yarn. It's nice and sproingy and soft and I love the color.

I'm making up the pattern as I go along. Once I have a completed sock, I'll post the details. I did put up some detail in the sock entry on Ravelery, so if you can't wait, go there!

And, I completed one Summer of Love sock. It's not as wonky looking as in the picture.