Sunday, November 02, 2008

So why vote, anyway?

Texas is a red state. It's not "leaning" or "battleground", but, rather, firmly red.

So, I always run into people who say, "Why bother." It doesn't matter what party they are inclined to support. If they vote Republican, it doesn't matter because the state always goes red anyway. If they vote Democrat, it doesn't matter because the state goes red anyway.

My reply is always the same, "If you don't vote; you can't bitch." I don't want to hear about how you don't like the government if you failed to participate in the election. I want you to vote on the issues that matter the most to you. Because everyone's issues are different.

Even if your vote is not going to count on the larger scale, I have to believe that every single vote counts because it is a reflection of the individuals that make up this nation. And the United States used to be all about the individual. Presidents campaigned on their belief in the strength of the people rather than this oddly paternalistic care taking role we've devolved into.

Ultimately, I don't care which way my friends cast their votes. I just want them to vote. If my preferred candidate doesn't win, so be it. But at least I spoke up for the things that matter most to me in this election.